Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Everytime I Hear That Song...

You know when you hear a song on the radio, or go to a certain place, it triggers something in your mind. Whenever I smell a certain cologne, it makes me think of a certain person. Whenever I hear the Journey song, "Lights," it makes me think of the make-out place overlooking the Scottsbluff valley (yes, you class of 1983, you know where I am talking about, although I'm sure I've never been there...), OK you get the picture.

So bear with me. Every time I say to myself the word, 'sweaty,' it makes me think of our high school counselor: Betty Stephens, whom we so lovingly nicknamed "Sweaty Betty." I just can't say "sweaty" without "Betty" instantly coming to mind. Just rolls off the tongue. That is how much of an impression this woman left on the 183 of us in the SHS class of 1983.

We all had to drudge down to her office for our annual discussion on life. Sweaty Betty would give us her two cents on what classes we should take the following year, or give us a good talking to if we were completely out of control. I distinctly remember visiting her office in the early part of 1983. A lost young lady, not sure of the future, confused with no direction, but a 'nice kid.' I was an A-B student, nothing really shabby, except that my math skills were significantly lacking (nothing has changed in 2009).

Sweaty Betty reviewed my graduation requirements and asked if I had any plans following graduation. I replied that I wasn't sure. What I was really looking for was advice a counselor should give. Something positive, encouraging, an idea on how to narrow down the options... instead I got the Sweaty Betty response: "Well, I think you should take up light secretarial. I think that is all you can handle."

No kidding. Truly. I remember leaving feeling rejected and that that was probably all I would amount to (no knock to today's administrative professionals who sometimes run the entire company). This is not what Sweaty Betty meant. These are the kids who do need direction. These are the kids who counselors should encourage, and not just at their senior meeting; should be doing it all through high school.

I don't think it truly infuriated me until I got my master's degree in 2003. I said, "Sweaty Betty, take this!" And flashed a hand signal.

I was by my lonesome for last night's Nacho Ride, so I decided I would push it fairly fast (for me). I said to myself when arriving at the Eagle, Neb. destination, "Geez, I'm sweaty." Thus, the reminiscing of Sweaty Betty from the SHS Class of 1983. I don't ever want to go back in time to my teen years. It was a difficult stage of life, and I certainly didn't need any reinforcment from Betty Stephens. May she R.I.P.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online