Friday, October 23, 2009

Butter, white flour and lard: German food! (the western NE type)

Today is German food day! I am taking half a day off work to make cabbage burgers and grebble. Cabbage burgers (kraut berok) are the original Runzas. Grebble are a German doughnut. It's one of those things you grow up with that your Grandma always made, but as an adult yours are never as good as Grandma's. I have no idea why!

You won't find Grebble in eastern Nebraska. Grebble are a specialty of the Germans from Russia that settled in Western Nebraska to work the sugar beet crops. Although the American Heritage Society of Germans from Russia is located right here in Lincoln. Read up on them if you'd like.

Isn't it funny when you were a kid, things tasted so good? Well as a adult I found out why! Butter and lard. I have previously made reference to the German women back home... they have a good excuse.

My whole family will be here for my son's 16th birthday, thus the German food fest. German food, a little hockey, football game, and cheesecake (his favorite birthday cake). It will be great.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online